A common, yet serious disease that often affects those individuals who abandon their daily brushing and flossing habits is periodontal disease, also known as gum disease. Gum disease is characterized by an infection in your gum tissue that if left untreated, will result in total tooth loss.
Are you a victim of gum disease? If you are not sure, here is what to look for:
– Do your gums look abnormal, including signs of inflammation, excess swelling, or tenderness when touched or used?
– Are you frequently suffering from bad breath (halitosis), which continues to return even after brushing and flossing?
– Have you been in to see your dentist lately for an oral checkup?
– Are you taking any medications that have dry mouth as a known symptom?
– Do your gums bleed heavily or often during mealtime or while brushing or flossing?
– Are you taking any dangerous substances, such as drugs or tobacco?
– Are your gums pulling away from your teeth, making your teeth look longer than normal?
– Are your teeth feeling extra loose or out of position?
If you think you have a gum disease, please call Periodontics of the Desert so we can get you in to see Dr. Peter Warshawsky and our team as soon as possible. Our office is located in Palm Desert, California, and we can be reached at 760-674-4410. With the help of our team, the pathway to a clear smile can be followed. We look forward to seeing you smile bright this season.